Sunday, May 11, 2008

Captain Hook is my Homeboy

When I was in preschool I had several imaginary friends, but I only clearly recall "seeing" one of them. I remember getting out of my mom's van on a sunny morning and entering the main hall on the way to the temple's preschool, and I saw that Captain Hook (from the Disney version of "Peter Pan") was standing there waiting for me. He was the size of a real man-- or at least the size that a "real man" would be in a pre-schooler's estimation--but he was 2D and technicolor, sort of the way the cartoons looked in the "real world" in the Roger Rabbit movie. It's ironic that a villain would be my bosom buddy, because I was afraid of almost everything when I was a kid--but on the other hand, I think I've always loved outsiders, and villains are usually misunderstood. I also had a fake plastic hook from a family trip to Disneyland, so maybe that's where the fantasy/memory started.

-Apple B.
Los Angeles, CA

No comments: